Pages

Friday 27 January 2012

Bob Dylan art

Neil here. Last night we extended our opening hours for our branch of Castle Galleries, who were hosting (I think at most,  if not all, their branches nationally) the launch of the latest Bob Dylan art. They had invites art fans for a special launch, and a number of enthusiasts turned up. The collection must have done well nationally since several of the limited edition prints were sold out in minutes, I understand. Anyhow, I'm sure those real fans will already be aware, even if they haven't or couldn't manage to buy something. I've been a fan of Bob Dylan's music for MUCH longer than I care to admit, and perform a few of his songs myself when I'm in a band (not, at present) or pick up the guitar at other times, but when I first heard that he had started painting, I wasn't sure what to expect, and even less sure I'd like it.

Now I'm into my third year of seeing his stuff, and I actually have something of his on the wall at home (VERY modest cost, I assure you! Would that I could afford a signed print!) and I really like his style. I hasten to add at this point that I am firmly in the middle of the "I know nothing about art but I know what I like" camp. His work reminds me of Van Gogh, and Starry Night has been a favourite picture of mine forever. His subject matter just seems so apt too, and I think the "Train Tracks" series  is just quintessential Bob Dylan. It's a Bob Dylan song/lyric in a picture.