Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

A Management View


 You're never too old so they say - and that's what I've been proving these last few months with all this social networking lark. Two years ago I had never heard of Facebook, I didn't know what a 'blog' was, and I don't think Twitter had even been invented. Now, the national body for Shopping Centres (the BCSC) has even released some research into how shopping centres are, and should or shouldn't be, using social networking to help promote their business. We've taken on a guru to pull together all our online activity and are in the throes of redesigning our website (less than four years old and already looking horribly outdated) and I find myself wondering how we can make our online presence seem human, real, interesting, maybe a bit quirky, and not just that cynical proselytising  that the big companies seem to be doing - "visit us on Facebook!" - which seems a total turn-off to me anyway.

So, you're going to find all sorts of stuff from us on the web whether it be on Facebook, on Twitter or our TV channel on youtube or this blog. The Exchange is a wonderful building, Grade II* listed - and probably grade I within the next ten years - a unique place with a great shopping experience and I'm VERY proud of it, and the changes and improvements I have made - and continue to make - to my wonderful centre. I will thus be making the occasional entry on this blog, talking about the things I think are important about the Exchange and its environment, and anything else I feel like ranting (or raving) about.  I hope they prove readable, and you enjoy my input. You can be sure of one thing. I'll mean every word.